Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Two Peas in an I-Pod :D

So here I am. Sitting on my couch when I read the phrase 'two peas in a pod', and the first thing that came to my mind was not a vegetable, but in fact it was a musical device. It seems today, at least to me that phrases like this take on a whole new meaning! You think of two people sharing an i-Pod, one ear phone in an ear of two people and you think of them being 'two peas in a pod', either being 'besties' 'bff's' or 'gf-bf's'. It's funny that phrases that were used years ago are here today, they just take on a whole new meaning. If I were to go outside 100 years ago and express how 'gay' I was, people would come to hear my stories of happiness and joy. Now, if I were to go out today and express my 'gay-ness' people would look at me with concern and partial fear, being protective of their male friends. Or let's say I heard some one yelling and I said to them, "Cut the gas!" they would question if someone had a bad set of mexican food or if there was a leak somewhere, whereas I say that to someone in the 1950's and they would know to be quiet! Things to consider is why this language changes so much from then to now, why can't we keep the same meanings? I think it all starts with one. There are so many things that all start with one. Someone hadn't heard the phrase from the 50's and decided it sounded dumb, more would join until it snowballed to where it's not just that it's no longer cool, but that it's just not heard of, and they create a different meaning for themselves. Most of these phrases become disgusting to many ears or offensive. Now being happy, 'too happy' is gay, and any 50's phrase just means you're a 'hippie' (which we all know is a TOTALLY different time period) and now the first thing we think of when hearing the word pod is a music device. Funny how times change! Now, if you'll excuse me, my bff and I are going to go be two peas with my i-Pod. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment