Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A 'tall' tale of David vs. Goliath

Most people know the famous story of David vs. Goliath. David is a young, skinny boy who is very good at slinging stones. Goliath is a giant, ripped, blood hungry man, who has taken over most of the armies of Israel. So there you have the set up. To those who haven't heard this story, it would seem that Goliath is the obvious champion, and David should end up looking something like Frogger after a failed attempt to cross a freeway. As it turns out, David doesn't resemble Frogger at all, in fact he looks more like Rambo by taking one stone to Goliaths temple and killing him in that one shot. If you're not a religious person, this seems very unusal. This Goliath had torn apart armies that had bows and arrows, sharpened swords and spears. The King of Israel had no answer until this young shepherd boy came along with one stone and a peice of leather. How could a huge giant take arrows to the chest and yet not take one stone to the head? If you're a religious person, you know the answer is simple. David had help from his Heavenly Father. It wasn't just David throwing this stone, but his Father in Heaven empowered David and guided the stone. David was who he was when he was WITH God. Without Heavenly Father, David would've remained that shepherd boy, being guided by insticts and later on would've become a great shepherd man instead of a great king.

Today we have all sorts of Davids around the world. Good, hard working people who are doing all they can to not only better themselves, but better society. Now on the flip side of things, we have Goliaths roaming our earth. They may be 5'4" but they're evil giants. They seek only for their own gain, they seek to conquer man kind by being above everyone. Rarely do we see these Davids overcome their Goliaths. I've always wondered why!

My answer came to me while talking to a friend. She said, "Jonny, one day you're going to be famous (like those giant Goliaths) and I'm going to say to my kids, 'I grew up with him!'". At first I took this as a compliment and got all giddy inside thinking of my classmates telling their kids about how awesome I was and how great it is to know a famous person like me. Then it hit me in that instant, just a small voice told me, "The most important person to be known by is your Heavenly Father.". I realized that I'm not who I am without my Heavenly Father, and that most of these people had lost their sense of 'David' and had gained a sense of 'Goliath', thinking they can take on anyone or anything without anyone because they are larger than life, they are invincible. I quickly texted her back telling her what I heard and that I never planned on being a Goliath, but would strive to be a David.

In those short few minutes, I realized that these Davids aren't only overcoming their Goliaths, but destroying them. They aren't known very well. In fact I doubt the world knows who 99.9999% of these 'Davids' are, yet they carry on doing what they do because they know who is looking at them as the 'popular' ones, the most important person to be considered popular by, Heavenly Father. They're throwing their stones, not to hurt those Goliaths, but to defend themselves and their families against the danger they impose upon them.

In God's eyes, these Davids are no longer losing at all, but rather these Goliaths, who are starting to look more and more like Froggers in my eyes. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment