Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Our personal 'Special Ops."

There she was. Smiling that beautiful smile I would soon be very familiar with. Those cute chin dimples staring right at me. The nerves set in, you know the type, the kind where it's not just butterflies, those butterflies are cold and they're SWARMING in your stomach. Your stomach starts the shake that leads to the rest of your body not necessarily shaking, but definitely stuttering. Shivers aren't going down your spine, but down your chest. You can't hide that you're staring straight at her because you're afraid if you look away, she'll be gone and you'll never see her again, even though you may see her at school everyday, you don't want to take the chance. She knows you're looking at her because she covers that smile slowly with her right hand, keeping her eyes on you, but whispering to her best friend, who now in turn is staring at you as well. You finally get control of you legs and you take a few steps towards her. She drops her hand, looks away from her friend, and pretends like she doesn't see you. 'Is this a good thing?' your mind questions. You take a few more steps and realize you haven't thought of what you're going to say! You quickly come up with something that you think is going to start a great conversation. She seems like miles away, which must mean she's a mirage, a figment of your imagination, but you finally reach her and she's real. The opportunity arrives and you decide to pursue and say what you had thought up, "Hey, you're a girl." 'Wow, that was it?' your mind screams at you. 'Hold up a second! That came out wrong.', you scream back at your nervous mind. She smiles, an awkward yet friendly, gorgeous smile (which, by the way, only makes matters that much worse because now your knees start to give out), and doesn't know how to answer your idiotic question. You take advantage of this moment, "And you're a great dancer, that's mostly what I was coming over to tell you. I like your dancing... Er I mean thanks for teaching us how to dance today you were a great teacher! I'm really glad you're teaching us cuz... Let's be honest... You're amazing. That will be all."

Awkward? Definitely, but the moral of this long, awkward story is that I seized the day. I took my Special Op (opportunity) and made it mine. I was really scared, I said the wrong thing, but this one Special Op led to what has become one of my most cherished relationships. I took hold of it, trusted that I would say what I needed to (eventually) and approached man's most feared situation with hidden confidence.

We all have been given so many 'Special Ops' each day of our lives. It's rediculous how many we have each and every day. How many of these opportunities do we back down from? I look back at that one day that I could've chosen a totally different path, and I thank the Heavens that for that one moment in time, I 'manned' up and did what needed to be done. I think of what could've happened and how I wouldn't have that one person in my life. I would be much worse off than I am now, and not as strong in my religion. I would not have the love for the gospel that I have attained through her instalation of it in my heart. I'm thankful that I took that one moment and made it mine.

How many moments do we miss because of fear, because of doubt? How many of each of these moments could change our lives forever? We must not only take these moments, but we must REFUSE to let them pass us by! Each moment that we lose is an opportunity missed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every person you meet should be looked at as a future spouse, but each could be a future life changer.

So, how about we all learn to conquer this fear. I still haven't. Not even close! But for that one moment I trusted that things would work out as they should and they did! So trust and do!

Oh and watch out for those green eyed, dimple-chinned, brown haired dancers. From my point of view, they're the greatest Special Op's you'll ever take :)
Food for Thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment