Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Getting 'ripped'

There it was. Lying in two pieces. Just staring at me, looking as if it had tears in its non-existant eyes. It looked like it had been ripped in half by one mad tear, but come to find out, my blanket had been ripping for years and I just never really noticed it. I mean there was this once where there was a fight (not sayin' it was between me and my sister, not sayin' it wasn't) where it may have recieved a ginormous rip right down the center of it, but that was quickly sown again by a loving mother. But the problem still remained, my favorite blanket was torn in two peices, and I knew who the culprit was. It was me. I wasn't aware that I was doing it, but slowly that big rip was re-opened and it ended with my blanket being dessomated.

I think my blanket might have been a metophor for some situations in life and relationships. Sometimes we get a big 'rip' in a relationship with someone else, where it seems like that relationship is over, done for, but it's still held on by a thread or two and over time it is 'sewn' back together making it just as strong or stronger than it was before. The big rip is easy to spot and fix, it's the small ones that kill a relationship over time. You can catch a big rip, you can see it right in front of you and feel the difference, those small rips sometimes are not noticable and go on and on and on... Until they seperate totally, with no chance of a full recovery or become near as great as they were before.

We MUST be careful of the small rips. Many small rips are worse than a big, giant rip. These rips can be anywhere from being too stubborn (that's what all my little rips come from, I'm about as stubborn as they come, but I'm usually too stubborn to admit it) from not being honest and even not fully forgiving and letting go. The big rip can come from the last two especially. But by letting go and forgiving, you create a stronger relationship than what was there before. The little rips come from ALMOST forgiving, but still holding onto things from the past, from not being 100% honest and only being 99.99999%... Those small lies sometimes hurt more than the big ones. Anytime you're stubborn with someone who means a lot to you, it puts a small rip into your relationship.

By catching these small rips early, and re-stitching our relationships, we can grow stronger again and again. Now, being mad at someone who calls you on something like this only hurts your relationships more! Be careful to not cause more rips to an already damaged 'blanket', that could be absolutely detramental to what you're trying to fix and get over. In fact, it'll rip faster and faster the less you change WITH each other. Never change for someone unless it's for the better, but changing WITH someone for good is the best thing that can happen to a relationship to make it stronger.

Relationships are the greatest resources we've been given. They're what gets us through life, and they make life interesting. We should always cherish them and make them one of our priorities, no matter what our situation is. Now if you'll excuse me, my blanket isn't going to stitch itself! MOM!!!!
Food for thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment